City of Lowell Construction Projects
Lowell Canal Bridges (TIGER) Project
The project will rehabilitate and replace a network of critically important bridges over several canals in Lowell, in order to eliminate weight restrictions that currently interfere with transportation circulation and access in the downtown area. To learn more about the TIGER Bridge Project, click here.
Hamilton Canal Innovation District (HCID) North Infrastructure Project ("Streets F and G")
This project will build two new streets and install utility infrastructure in the northern section of the HCID. The project includes major pedestrian and traffic improvements to the bridge at Dutton and Broadway, and construction of a new Signature Bridge over the Pawtucket Canal that will connect the north and south sides of the HCID.
HCID Parking Garage
This project will construct a 930 space parking garage to support public and private development in the Hamilton Canal Innovation District.
- Click here for construction and development updates regarding the Hamilton Canal Innovation District
- Click here to sign up for the HCID Newsletter
- View the latest HCID newsletter
- LTC News Construction Update: Hamilton Canal Innovation District 9/6/18
This transformative infrastructure project will remove the aging overpass bridges, connect Jackson Street to Thorndike Street, improve the intersection at Dutton/Thorndike/Fletcher/Jackson streets, and update traffic signals to effectively move travel into and out of the HCID and Downtown Lowell. Click here for more project information.
Thorndike Street Widening
The project will widen Thorndike Street from YMCA Drive to the Gallagher Square in order to accommodate left turn lanes at Highland Street and Gallagher Terminal, improve traffic flow and safety, and expand Thorndike Street access to the privately funded Thorndike Exchange mixed use development project. View the latest updates here.
State Construction Projects
Lowell Justice Center
The facility under construction will house the Superior, District, Probate & Family, Juvenile and Housing Courts of Middlesex County. A Court Service Center and office space for both the District Attorney and Registry of Deeds will also be provided. Project website
State Transportation Projects
- Replacement of Market Street over Western Canal Bridge
- Intersection improvements at Route 113 and Mammoth Road
- VFW Highway Paving and Aiken Street intersection improvements
Construction planned for spring 2019
Route 38 improvements
- Rogers Street and Douglas Road Intersection Improvements
- Rogers Street and Fairmont Street Intersection improvements
- Nesmith Street/Andover Street/East Merrimack Street Intersection Improvements and widening
In design with programmed construction funding, FY 2019:
- Lowell Connector over Industrial Avenue East Bridge Deck Replacement
In design with programmed construction funding, FY 2020:
- Lowell Connector Reconfiguration between Thorndike Street and Gorham Street
- VFW Highway Reconstruction and related work
- Pedestrian Walkway and Bicycle Connection at Pawtucket Falls Overlook-Vandenberg Esplanade to School Street (with NPS and City of Lowell)
In preliminary design with no programmed construction funding:
- Replacement of Rourke Bridge and Wood Street Extension over B&M Railroad and Merrimack River
Click here to be directed to the MASSDOT website for information about the projects listed above.
Private Development Construction Projects
Thorndike Exchange - 165 Thorndike Street
The former home of Thorndike Factory Outlet and Comfort Furniture, Thorndike Exchange is a private, adaptive re-use project turning old mill space into a thriving mixed-use community.