MassDOT Advisory: Lowell
Pawtucket Street Bridge over the Pawtucket Canal to Remain Closed
Structure Will Remain Open to Bicyclists and Pedestrians
LOWELL – The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is announcing the Pawtucket Street bridge over the Pawtucket Canal in Lowell will remain closed to vehicular traffic following an inspection that found significant deterioration to the bridge deck. The bridge was closed by the City of Lowell on Monday, February 10, 2020 after it was discovered that a longitudinal section of the existing bridge deck had become dislodged and fallen from the bridge. MassDOT Bridge Inspection teams inspected the structure and reviewed historical design information and based on the present conditions recommended the bridge remain closed to vehicular traffic. The bridge will remain open to bicyclists and pedestrians.
Traffic on Pawtucket Street will continue to be detoured as follows:
• Westbound traffic is detoured left onto School Street; right onto Broadway Street; and then right onto Walker Street rejoining Pawtucket Street on the west side of the bridge.
• Eastbound traffic is detoured right onto Walker Street; left onto Broadway Street; and then left onto School Street rejoining Pawtucket Street on the east side of the bridge.
The bridge is currently being reconstructed as part of a $15.5 million project to reconstruct or rehabilitate five bridges spanning the Canal System within Lowell. The construction of the first half of the new bridge is well underway and the installation of the new bridge beams is scheduled to occur next. Once the first half of the new bridge is fully completed, vehicles will again be able to use the bridge while the remainder of the existing bridge is demolished and reconstructed. The overall project for the five bridges is expected to be completed in the spring of 2022.
Those traveling through the area should expect delays, reduce speed and use caution. Appropriate signage and messaging will be in place to guide drivers along the detour route.
For more information on traffic conditions, travelers are also encouraged to:
• Dial 511 and select a route to hear real–time conditions.
• Visit www.mass511.com, a website which provides real-time traffic and incident advisory information and allows users to subscribe to text and email alerts for traffic conditions.
• Follow MassDOT on Twitter @MassDOT to receive regular updates on road and traffic conditions.
• Download MassDOT’s GoTime mobile app and view real-time traffic conditions before setting out on the road.
Copyright 2018 City of Lowell, MA. All Rights Reserved.
375 Merrimack St. Lowell MA, 01852Unsubscribe