Agenda for City Council on May 21, 2013, 06:30 PM
LOWELL CITY COUNCIL
TUESDAY MAY 21, 2013
CITY HALL, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBER
TIME 6:30 PM
1. Citation - Honoring 60th Anniversary of the Mental Health Association of Greater Lowell.
2. Minutes of City Council Meeting May 14th; Public Safety SC May 14th, for acceptance.
3. Communication - From City Manager Responses to City Council Motions and Requests.
A. COUNCIL MOTION OF 4/9/2013 BY COUNCILOR MERCIER:
“Request City Manager explore possibility of having a police substation in the library for completing reports and other administrative functions.”
B. COUNCIL MOTION OF 5/7/13 BY MAYOR MURPHY:
“Request City Manager report on Storm Water Compliance Program and Plans to Further Incorporate Storm Water Best Management Practices into City Ordinances.”
C. COUNCIL MOTION OF 5/7/2013 by COUNCILOR mercier:
“Request the City Manager provide a different location for fireworks as compared to previous years so as not to disturb the animals of the Lowell Humane Society.”
D. COUNCIL MOTION OF 4/23/13 BY COUNCILOR NUON:
“Request City Manager have proper department provide assistance to Nader for 3k road race to raise funds for victims of Boston marathon bombings.”
E. COUNCIL MOTION OF 2/26/13 BY COUNCILOR NUON:
“Request City Manager provide a breakdown of the current diversity within the Police Dept. for both officers and command staff and further report efforts to continue diversifying the police force in the newest recruiting class of the Police Academy.
Reappoint Gary Perrin to Board of Appeals
Reappoint Corey Belanger to Board of Appeals
Reappoint Cliff Kreiger to License Commission
4. Communication - Reappoint Clifford R. Krieger-License Commission.
5. Communication - Reappoint Gary Perrin - Zoning Board of Appeals.
6. Communication - Reappoint Corey Belanger - Zoning Board of Appeals.
7. Vote - Authorize Manager Execute MOU Unit “C” 7/1/12-6/30/15.
8. Vote - Authorize Manager Execute MOU Unit “D” 7/1/12-6/30/15.
9. Vote - Apply/Accept/Expend Grant - Health Dept ($100,000) Substance Abuse Services.
10. Vote - Transfer funds ($2,500) City Clerk's office.
11. Communication - From City Manager request approval Out of State Travel (1) LPD.
REPORTS (Sub/Committee, if any)
12. Neighborhoods SC May 21, 2013.
13. Wire Insp. - UMass Lowell - To attach new cable on existing poles in right of way along Hall St. and across Aiken St.
14. Claims (1) claim for property damage.
15. Comcast of Southern NE - Underground conduit Prescott Street.
16. Comcast of Southern NE - Underground conduit Middlesex Street.
17. C. Martin - Req. City Mgr. have proper department establish suitable recognition of the Anton Family near corner of Broadway and Fletcher Streets in junction with 100th Anniversary of Anton's Cleaners in June.
18. C. Lorrey - Req. City Mgr. have the proper department replace the crosswalks in front of the Hellenic Orthodox Church Holy Trinity and possibly Saint Patrick's Church.
19. C. Leahy - Req. City Mgr. provide a status report on all fire damaged homes in the City.
20. C. Elliott - Req. City Council vote to adopt resolution to Governor and State Legislature supporting Rourke Bridge Project.
21. C. Elliott - Req. City Solicitor provide an explanation on damage claim refused for 58 Carroll Parkway.
22. M. Murphy - Req. City Mgr. explore development of a City Arts or Cultural Laureate program to work on projects which promote art in the community.
23. M. Murphy - Req. City Mgr. consider developing a Percent for the Arts policy as part of the annual Neighborhood Impact Initiative to support local artists and increase public art throughout the neighborhoods.
24. M. Murphy - Req. City Mgr. explore potential of community design process for welcoming Gateway and other signage in neighborhood business districts.
25. M. Murphy - Req. City Mgr. develop joint proposal with Register of Deeds to addressed vacant and abandoned properties through the Attorney General's Distressed Properties Identification and Revitalization Grant.