History and Location
The Acre is one of Lowell’s oldest neighborhoods. In 1828, Lowell’s main corporation for waterpower and real estate, the Locks and Canals Co., provided an acre of land near the Western Canal for the construction of St. Patrick’s Church. The neighborhood that grew around the church came to be known as the Acre; men and women from all over New England as well as from England, Ireland, and Scotland, lived there. A group of Irish men came in 1822 to help hundreds of local Yankees build the canals and mills. Many more Irish immigrants followed, taking jobs in the trades and textile mills and opening small businesses.
The 1890s, Greek immigrants moved into the Acre in such large numbers that Greektown became the tag for the place they call home. They developed an allegiance to their adopted country that has made their presence strongly felt to this day.
The 1930s Depression hit hard in the Acre, resulting in fewer jobs and deteriorating housing stock. Using federal funds, the City demolished more than 200 buildings to clear land for the North Common Village, one of the first federally funded urban renewal housing projects. Today’s ethnically mixed Acre may be the most diverse of Lowell’s neighborhoods. Puerto Ricans settled here after World War II, followed by Cambodians, Laotians, and Vietnamese. New immigrants from Sierra Leone and Brazil continue to find a home in the City.
Population: 12,072 (Census 2000)
Median Household Income: $26,326 (1999 Dollars)
Parks and Recreation
- Adams Park
- Barlett Field
- Cross Street Park
- Francis Gate Park
- Harmony Park
- Moody Street Playground
- North Common
- Olga Nieves Playground
- Western Canal
Allen House, 57 Roulfe Street. Built 1854.
- Acre Action Neighborhood Group. Meets the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. at Club Passe-Temps (371 Moody Street). For more information, contact David Ouellette at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Acre Plan
- Western Canal