Shedd Park Renovation
In July of 1910, Freedman Shedd presented to the City of Lowell a 50-acre tract of land in the Belvidere section of Lowell to be used expressly as a park and playground for the residents of the City. It was Freeman Shedd's wish "That it shall forever be used as a park, or playground for the recreation of citizens and children of the City of Lowell and for no other purpose." The City eventually built a stone field house with toilet facilities, showers and changing rooms. This handsome structure is still standing and provides a haven for those seeking shelter during a sudden rain shower or on a hot summer's day. The field house is also popular site for group outings, picnics, and has recently been used for fund-rasing events. Shedd Park is located near the entry to the city center, and the field house is a very visable landmark. The City would like to restore the park as a regional facility as it serves a large regional population, will provide parking for over 100 cars, has great access to public transportation, provides adequate comfort station, will provide drinking fountains and serves all age groups.
The City's intention to install an aquatic spray park (see design below), play structures, a 50 car parking lot with accessible spaces adjacnet to the new spray park, upgrade bathroom facilities and provide drinking fountains, upgrade lighting and site furnishings, and landscape to provide additional shade. Trees will be provided from and already established urban forestry program through the Lowell Parks and Conservation Trust. The project went out to bid in Junly 2007 and construction should be completed by December 2007.
Shedd Park Renovation Design:
If you have comments or questions about this project, please feel free to contact:
Diane Tradd, Design Planner