Election and Census Commission
The City of Lowell's Election and Census Commission manages and conducts all municipal, state, and federal elections within the City of Lowell.
If you encounter any problems at all while voting, please contact the Lowell Election Commission.
Managing and conducting all municipal, state, and federal elections within the City of Lowell from start to finish presents a significant challenge. The Election and Census Commission considers attaining one hundred percent (100%) voter registration one of its highest goals! As the non-partisan resource responsible for the integrity of fair elections, and ensuring that they are properly conducted in accordance with local, state, and federal laws, the Election and Census Commission is here to answer your questions about the voting and election process. We suggest you review the list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) that we have prepared in order to better assist you.
Under the supervision of the Office Manager, and the Election Commissioners:
- Supervises voter registration and absentee ballots;
- Maintains voter records, including change of address or party affiliations;
- Supplies nomination papers for candidates, initiatives, and referenda;
- Administers campaign finance laws;
- Certifies the signatures on all nominations and petitions;
- Maintains election equipment;
- Oversees and supervises polling places, election officers, and the general conduct of all election workers;
- Directs preparation of ballots, polling places, voting equipment, and voting lists;
- Conducts the election process;
- Tallies election results;
- Validates and certifies election results;
- Prepares, records and reports official election results to the Secretary of State of the Commonwealth;
- Maintains and preserves the records of the election process;
- Validates and certifies the Annual Census which helps determine the City's eligibility for many important programs and grants; and
- Provides proof of City of Lowell residency for state colleges and universities, travel certificates and social security administration.