Cemetery Overview and History
The City's Cemetery department provides for public and private interments, lot sales, government marker installation and proper maintenance of 6 City owned cemeteries encompassing approximately 124 acres.
This 46 acre cemetery is located at 1375 Gorham Street
and is the largest of Lowell’s cemeteries with over 10,000 lot owners.
The first 30 acres were purchased in 1846 from William and Hannah Spence. Additional cemetery land was acquired in 1877 and Edson Point was purchased in 1924. It was officially designated as Cemetery No. 3 at the time of its purchase.
Jack Kerouac, the poet for whom Kerouac Park is named, is buried here. His gravesite is located at Lincoln and Seventh Avenue and attracts year round visitors from all over the world.
Located at 215 Boston Road
, this cemetery encompasses approximately 65 acres with over 3,500 lot owners.
The first 19 acres were purchased in 1899 from Charles W. and Sarah Swan and Sever Ohlson. In 1923, another 17.21 acres were purchased. In September of 1925, 15.07 acres were added and in October of 1925 14.16 acres were purchased from the Erastus Bartlett Estate bringing the total to 65 acres. This cemetery was originally known as Cemetery No. 3 Annex.
Located at 305 Boston Road
it was developed in the fall of 1993 and is the first municipal cemetery built in the City of Lowell in over fifty years. Presently there are more than 700 lot owners. It is approximately 6.3 acres with 25 years of expansion capacity.
Mammoth Road Cemetery
In use from 1796 to 1899 and located at 70 Mammoth Road
, this cemetery is approximately 9,690 square feet. It is also known as the Pawtucket Cemetery.
The oldest gravestone at the Pawtucket Cemetery is for Eleanor Varnum (1794-1796) who was the young daughter of Col. James Varnum (1747-17??) and his second wife Eleanor Bridges Varnum (1758-1801). James was the son of John Parker Varnum (1705-1785) who lived at 495 Varnum Ave and grandson of John Varnum (1669-1715), reportedly the first white child born in the Merrimack River Valley. James was a Captain in the Revolutionary War and was then promoted to Colonel of the 3rd Regiment, 2nd Brigade of the Mass State Militia. He is buried in the Pawtucket Cemetery in the tomb of Capt. Phineas Whiting.
The earliest Coburn family member buried here was Asa Colburn in 1800, who was the great-great-grandson of Ezra Coburn (1658-1739), son of Edward Coburn and Hannah Varnum (1661-?) who was the daughter of Samuel Varnum.
The Pawtucket Cemetery is the final burial place for many decorated military officers of Dracut, including Capt. Coburn Blood, Jr., Capt. Elisha Ford, Capt. John Ford, Capt. Phineas Whiting, and Col. James Varnum.
School Street Cemetery
This cemetery was purchased from Joel Spaulding on November 5, 1810 for $23 by the inhabitants of Chelmsford as that section of Lowell was within the boundaries of Chelmsford at the time of purchase. It was officially designated as Cemetery No. 1 at the time. It is located between Branch and Middlesex Streets.
Old English Cemetery