Wastewater Utility Accomplishments
During Fiscal Year 2013
- Maintained one of the lowest local sewer rates in the Commonwealth (175th out of 200 communities).
- Managed an operating budget of approximately $18 million dollars, which supports the fifth-largest wastewater transport and treatment system in Massachusetts.
- Earned intermunicipal revenues of more than $3.5 million dollars and hauled waste revenues of more than $1.2 million dollars.
- Invested more than $3 million dollars in capital projects aimed at improving the reliability and effectiveness of its stormwater/wastewater transport and treatment system.
- Renewed its ISO 14001 Environmental Management System (EMS) certification. Since 1999, LRWWU has been ISO-14001 certified – one of the first public-sector organizations in the country to earn this certification.
- Recycled over 100,000 pounds of metal, wood, cardboard, paper and co-mingled glass and plastic, medical sharps and rechargeable batteries.
- Reduced its Combined Sewer Overflows (CSOs) for the second straight year to an historical low that represents an 80% decrease compared to its ten-year average.