Submitting Payments to the City of Lowell
The Office of the Treasurer is happy to offer the City of Lowell's citizens and bill payers various ways to submit payment to us, by paying online, in person, or at City Hall. All amounts due are subject to change per the appropriate collection schedule.
Electronic checks using a checking or savings account or the following card types are accepted for online payment.
Important Notices about paying online:
- Online payment is offered as a convenience to our customers. While signing up is free, all online payments are subject to convenience fees which are made to the online bill collector for processing the payment.
- As the bill payer, if you choose to pay online, you are responsible for any convenience fees assessed by the online bill collector.
- Convenience fees cover various administrative costs associated with accepting payments online and are non-refundable.
- Convenience fees are NOT collected by the City nor paid to the City - the City of Lowell receives only your bill payment amount.
- The amount of the fee varies according to the type of bill being paid as well as the payment method being used, and is always displayed clearly for your approval.
- Convenience fees will appear as a separate charge from the bill amount on your credit card and bank statements.
- When paying a Tax Bill online, the convenience fee for using a Credit Card is a percentage rate fee of up to 2.95% with a minimum charge of $1.00; the convenience fee when using an Electronic Check is $.40.
- When paying a Water Bill online, the convenience fee for using a Credit Card is a flat rate fee of up to $3.95; the convenience fee when using an Electronic Check is $.40
- All payment transactions made via the bill collector's system are processed using a secure connection, and in US currency only; the merchant’s country of origin is the USA.
- If you need help using online bill pay or you have a question about your account, please call (978) 674-4222 or send email to email@example.com.
- If there is an error in the Credit Card charge, please contact Invoice Cloud at (877) 256-8330 x2700.
- When using Invoice Cloud to search for your Real Estate Tax Bill online, you only need to enter your property number and street name (e.g., 12 SMITH STREET would be entered as 12 SMITH).
- When using Invoice Cloud to pay your Water Utility Bill online, any applicable billing discounts (e.g., early payment discount) will be displayed on the final payment screen of your transaction.
- Despite many Real Estate Tax and Water Utility Bills sharing the same account number, at this time, they must be registered separately and paid separately online when using Invoice Cloud . You will receive separate notifications for each of these bills, and must pay them separately in order to ensure that the correct bill and account are credited prior to the due date.
- Customers with two or more Water Utility Bills must register them separately when using Invoice Cloud . You will receive separate notifications for each of these bills, and must pay them separately in order to ensure that the correct bill and account are credited prior to the due date.
- Motor Vehicle Excise Tax Bills are online by the time you receive your printed copy of the bill in the mail, and are online while they are available for payment using Invoice Cloud, which is sixty (60) days from the date they were issued, during which time the bill is considered "current". Once the bill is no longer "current", it is considered "overdue" and is available for online payment through the City's Deputy Collector, Kelley & Ryan through their website.
Pay in Person at City Hall
- The Office of the Treasurer is located on the 1st floor of City Hall, and can be contacted at (978) 674-4222 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are generally open to take payments Monday through Friday, between 8:00am and 5:00pm.
- Cash, money orders, or checks are accepted when paying in person at our location.
- Please make checks or money orders payable to the City of Lowell.
Mail Your Payment to City Hall
- Make all payments by check or money order payable to the City of Lowell.
- Make sure to record the bill number and property address on your check or money order.
- To request a receipt, you must submit your entire bill along with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and a written request for a receipt; failure to submit any of these items will make us unable to provide a receipt.
- Please DO NOT MAIL CASH.
- Payments may be mailed to:
City of Lowell, City Hall
Office of the Treasurer
375 Merrimack Street
Lowell, MA 01852-5998