Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
City of Lowell > Veterans > Public Assistance
Public Assistance

Applying for Chapter 115 Public Assistance Benefits

Under Chapter 115 of Massachusetts General Laws (M.G.L. Ch. 115), the Commonwealth provides a uniform program of financial and medical assistance for indigent veterans and their dependents. Qualifying veterans and their dependents receive necessary financial assistance for food, shelter, clothing, housing supplies, and medical care in accordance with a formula which takes into account the number of dependents and income from all sources. Eligible dependents of deceased veterans are provided with the same benefits as they would were the veteran still living.
Applications for Chapter 115 Public Assistance benefits can be filed with the veteran's local Veterans Agent who works out of your city or town hall. To find your Agent:
  • See the complete listing of Veterans Agents in Massachusetts.
  • Call your local city/town hall and ask for Veterans' Services. 
  • Or, call the Department of Veterans’ Services, 617-210-5480 and ask for your Veterans’ Agent name and contact information.
Examples of documents needed for application (speak to your Veterans’ Agent for a full list of documents required):
  • DD214 or other discharge certificate
  • Income verification (pay stubs, award letters or other documents showing monthly income) 
  • Shelter verification (rent receipt or mortgage payment)
To Establish a Relationship as a Veteran's Dependent
  • Marriage certificate (for spouse or widow/widower of a veteran)
  • Birth certificate or adoption record with name of eligible veteran as parent (for child of a veteran) 
  • Death certificate (for widow/widower of a veteran, child of deceased veteran) 
  • Birth certificate of veteran with name of parent (for parent of a veteran) 
  • Public record or statements from the veteran or other knowledgeable people, showing that the applicant stood in place of a parent to the veteran for five years immediately preceding the veteran's wartime service (for person in place of a parent to a veteran)
For additional assistance, please contact your local Director of Veterans' Services/Veterans' Agent at the City of Lowell located at the Senior Center, 276 Broadway Street (2nd floor), or please call the office directly at 978-674-4066.