Veterans Bill of Rights
Per M.G.L. ch 115 and 108 CMR (Code of Massachusetts Regulations), veterans have the right to:
- File a written application for veterans' benefits at any time. You can insist upon this right, even if told that you are ineligible. 108 CMR 4:02 (1)
- Receive assistance from your local veterans' agent in completing your application. (M.G.L.c.115,s.3)
- Receive a full explanation of the services and benefits available under M.G.L. Ch. 115, as well as other available benefits.
- Receive a written notice and explanation of the approval or denial of your application for benefits. 108 CMR 8.02
- Be treated with dignity and respect and to receive accurate, courteous and timely service.
- Appeal and request a hearing if you disagree with any action taken in your case. 108 CMR 8.07(1)
- Expect confidentiality; personal information will not be collected or used except for the purpose of determining your eligibility for benefits. (M.G.L.c.40 s.51)
- Receive fair and equal treatment without regard to sex, race, religion, handicap, ethnicity or national origin. (M.G.L.c.151B, s.3)
For additional information regarding your rights as a veteran, please contact your local Director of Veterans' Services/Veterans' Agent at the City of Lowell located at the Senior Center, 276 Broadway Street (2nd floor), or please call the office directly at 978-674-4066.