The Lowell architectural firm of Merrill and Cutler was very active in the the late 19th century in Lowell and responsible for a variety of buildings. Otis Merrill (b. 1844) was born in Hudson, NH and came to Lowell in 1867, working first as a carpenter.Self-taught as an architect, he started practicing in 1873.Arthur Cutler (b. 1854) was born in Andover, educated in Lawrence, and went to art school in Boston. He became a partner of Merrill’s in 1883, having been a draftsman in Merrill’s office since 1876.
Prior to his partnership with Cutler, Merrill was responsible for the designs of the Appleton Block (1879, 166 Central Street), Asa Russell House (1879, 331 Wilder Street), and the Old Ladies Home (1881, 520 Fletcher Street).
Merrill and Cutler business ad (1886 City Directory)
Appleton Block (1879), 166 Central Street
Asa Russell House (1880), 331 Wilder Street
Old Ladies Home (1881), 520 Fletcher Street
First Congregational Church (1884), 412 Merrimack Street
Central Fire Station (1889), Palmer Street
Lowell Armory (1890; demolished 1977), Westford Street
Howe Building (1894), 10 Kearney Square as seen in ca. 1910
City Hall (1893)
Arthur Cutler House (1889), 17 Nicollet Street
Among the Lowell buildings designed by Merrill and Cutler are the First Congregational Church (1884, 412 Merrimack Street), Central Fire Station (1889, Palmer Street), Lowell Armory (1890, demolished 1977, Westford Street), Lowell City Hall (1893, 375 Merrimack Street), and the Howe Building (1894, 10 Kearney Square).
Arthur Cutler's house at 17 Nicollet Street was built in 1889 in the Queen Anne style and was most likely designed by Cutler or the firm.