All Forms of License to Carry (LTC)
To apply/upgrade/renew for License to Carry/Firearms Identification Card, you must contact the Firearms Record Bureau at 978-674-1879 between the hours of 7am-3pm M-F to schedule an interview.
- New applicants/renewal must be at least 21 years of age, a resident of the City of Lowell, and a citizen or Permanent Resident Alien.
- All applicants for a LTC must successfully complete, with certification, a Massachusetts State Police-approved Firearms live fire course that includes a Safe Carry/Concealed carry component (see below for approved courses). ·
- There is a $100 application fee for a Firearm ID (FID) or a LTC. Only Money Orders or Personal checks are accepted as payment; no cash or credits are accepted, and all fees are non-refundable. Fees may be waived for applicants over the age of 70. All payments are due at the time of your interview.
- Please bring the following to the interview:
- A completed application form (obtainable from Mass.gov)
- A copy of your Birth Certificate (if you are a citizen by birth), a U.S. passport, Naturalization Papers, or Permanent Resident Card, whichever is applicable
- Copies of the certificates you have received from applicable training course(s)
- LTC Upgrade Only: current LTC, driver’s license, and approved course (please see below)
- Following the interview, the licensing authority of the Lowell Police Department reviews the application and a thorough criminal background investigation is conducted.
Applicants for an unrestricted LTC should also provide any additional documentation they may have that will assist the Superintendent in making a determination that issuance of an unrestricted LTC to the applicant will not pose a threat to public safety. Applicants are encouraged to submit as much such documentation as possible. Examples of such documentation include, but are not limited to:
- Current or prior service in the military;
- Current or prior service in law enforcement;
- Prior receipt of an unrestricted LTC from another community or state, with no record of any violation of any term or condition of the LTC;
- Prior receipt of a restricted LTC from Lowell or from another community or state, with no record of any violation of any term or condition of the LTC (the receipt of such from Lowell will carry greater weight than the receipt of such license from elsewhere
- Prior receipt of a Firearms Identification Card (FID) from Lowell or from another community or state, with no record of any violation of any term or condition of the FID (the receipt of such from Lowell will carry greater weight than the receipt of such license from elsewhere);
- Prior receipt of a hunter safety training and/or experience hunting;
- Signed letters of recommendation that show the applicant's good character and emotional stability. Such letters of recommendation should indicate that the applicant is not subject to excessive drinking habits, substance abuse, or violent behavior. Letters of reference may, but need not, be from the references listed on the applicant's application. Letters from an applicant's relatives are not acceptable. Each letter of reference must be on 8.5 inches x 11 inches paper and be signed, dated, and show the reference's name, address and telephone number. The Superintendent of the Lowell Police Department, or his or her designee, reserves the right to contact each reference.
Unrestricted LTC/Upgrade Approved Courses
- On Target Firearms Safe Carry Course
- NRA Basics of Personal Protection Outside the Home (Level 1) or NRA Defensive Pistol
- SIG Arms Concealed Carry Pistol Course (LTC-012); GOAL The Art of Concealed Carry in Massachusetts
- Mass Firearms School Concealed Carry I
- Weston Shooters Club Level II Concealed Carry Course
- Boston Firearms Safe Carry Course I