Voter Eligibility & Registration
Who is Eligible to Vote?
In order to be eligible to vote, you must be a registered voter on the voting list which contains the name, address and party/affiliation of all registered voters in the City.
Registering to vote is an easy process for qualified applicants, however in order to register to vote in Massachusetts, you must meet the following qualifications:
- You must be a U.S. Citizen
- You must be a Massachusetts Resident
- You must be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
If you do not receive your acknowledgement notice, or have any other questions regarding your eligibility to vote, please contact the Election and Census Commission at 978-674-1200 for assistance.
It is important to consider the following regarding your voter registration:
- You must register by no more than 20 days before an election in order to be able to vote in that election.
- You are registered to vote on the day you register in person at an official designated office or according to the postmark date on a mail in registration form. You should receive an acknowledgement notice within two to three weeks after you register.
- In order to vote in a municipal election, you must be living in Lowell on election day.
- You can vote in state and federal elections within six months after moving out of Lowell, provided that you have not registered at a new address.
- Homeless persons may use their prior address in Lowell, if that was their last place of residency and if they were registered to vote.
- Massachusetts state law does not require that you vote in order to keep your name on the voting list.
- Answering the city census each year ensures that your name will remain on the voting list once you have registered.
- While voter registration cards or letters are not necessary for voting purposes, you may go to the Election Commission and make a request for a letter verifying that you are a registered voter, if necessary, for a small processing fee.
How to Register
Qualified residents have the following options available to complete voter registration:
- In Person - at the City of Lowell's Election Office during regular and special office hours to complete a voter registration form in person.
- By Mail-in Registration Form - Forms are available at the City Election Commission, local libraries, branches of the U.S. Post Office, any Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles while conducting a registry transaction, neighborhood health clinics, public housing locations, various social service agencies, various other locations throughout the state, and at the Secretary of State's office website. To have a Registration form mailed to you, call the State Elections Division at 800-462-VOTE (8683), or call the City Election Commission at 978-674-1200.
Fill the form out completely and sign it at the bottom. Mail the form to:
375 Merrimack Street
Lowell, MA 01852