The License Commission adopts rules and regulations for licenses and license activity that address matters of local interest in compliance with the laws of the Commonwealth. It is the local authority for licenses affecting:
- Alcoholic Beverage Retail
- Common Victualler (Restaurant & Prepared Food Service)
- Entertainment in an Alcoholic Beverage licensed establishment
- Lodging houses
- Pawnbroker, Precious metals, Second hand articles
- Public amusements
- Second hand Motor Vehicle Dealer
- Sidewalk Stands
Most permits that are co-requisites for License Commission Licenses are available through Development Services here: Development Services.
- License Commission meetings are governed by Open Meeting Law (Commonwealth).
- Every two or three weeks, usually on Thursdays at 6:00 PM.
- Unless otherwise specified in the meeting notice:
City Hall, 2nd floor, Council Chamber
375 Merrimack Street
Lowell, MA 01852
- Applications & Fees must be submitted 4 days before the meeting. This allows us to review your materials before adding you to the legally required public notice of the agenda, which must be posted 2 days before the meeting.
- Once Legal Public Notice of a meeting agenda is published, late submissions cannot, by law, be brought before the Commission in meeting.
- Upcoming meeting dates: 11/3/2022, 11/17/2022, 12/1/2022, 12/15/2022
License Commission 2023 Meeting Calendar (Meeting dates are subject to change.)
Notice of meeting is filed with the City Clerk at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting. Notice of meeting is on the bulletin board outside of City Hall in the JFK Plaza, and on the City of Lowell's online Agenda Center.
Meeting Agendas, Minutes, & Videos
Sign up to receive notifications of License Commission meetings and read the agenda when it's posted.
Go here: https://www.lowellma.gov/list.aspx Detailed illustrated directions (PDF): Directions for "Notify Me"
You can find the minutes and videos of previous meetings at the City of Lowell "Agenda Center," here:
Policy & Requirements
In accordance with License Commission policy: "An individual, a corporate officer, a manager of record or any other person who will be directly responsible for the business, entertainment, or special event for which a license is requested shall be required to appear at a meeting of the Lowell License Commission when said licensing board is scheduled to review the application filed by or on behalf of an individual, corporation, partnership, club, or association."
As of May 20, 2021, the License Commission requires that most applications include a work history for the business owner(s) and manager. You may attach a resume or CV that includes relevant experience.
Complete applications with all required documents must be received at least four business days before a meeting to be added to that meeting’s agenda for review by the License Commission. Only complete applications with all required information and attachments will be processed.
All one-day licenses for alcohol require that the alcohol be purchased from a state approved distributor or brewer. The list of currently approved MA Distributors is available here: https://www.mass.gov/doc/authorized-sources-of-alcohol-for-1-day-licenses/download
The licensing board may adopt rules and regulations in compliance with the Massachusetts General Laws and the Lowell Code of Ordinances.
|Title||Member Name||Term Exp. Date|
- Application for Common Victualler - PDF revised 20220120
- Overview and Guidelines for Alcoholic Beverages Retail License Application
- Dealer Application and Guide - Second Hand Motor Vehicles PDF rev20220124
- Application for Lodging House License (PDF Form)
- Pawnbroker_Old-Gold_SecondHand-Articles License Application
- Application for Special Events Permit for Amplified Outdoor Public Entertainment - rev 20210603
- Application for Sidewalk Stand - rev 20220711
- Special 1 Day App to Dispense Malt Bevs and Wines Only w-Regs
- Special 1 Day App for Certified Galleries to Dispense Wines Only w-Regs
- Public Amusement Application for Concerts & Shows (PDF)
- Application Guide for Pub Crawl License
- Personal Information Form for License Applications (PDF Form)
- City of Lowell License Commission CORI Request Form
- Affidavit of Notice to Abutters and Others - for Alcoholic Beverage License Applicants
- Hawker Peddler - Fish Application (PDF)
- Hawker Peddler - Fruits and Vegetables Application (PDF)
- Application for Entertainment (PDF Form)
- Alcohol Beverages Regulations for Licenses Issued by the Lowell License Commission (PDF)
- Lowell City Ordinance - Chapter 204. NOISE (PDF)
- Lowell City Ordinance Chapter 167 fruit, Vegetables, Fish, Temporary Vendors (PDF)
- Lowell City Ordinance Chapter 185 Junk and Secondhand Dealers in English and Spanish (PDF)
- Regulation that an Applicant is Required at License Commission Meetings (PDF)
- Regulations for Individual as Responsible Manager Issued a Special 1 Day License for Alcohol (PDF)