ResponsibilitiesThe primary goal of the Purchasing Department is to assure that the User Departments requirements are met in a cost effective and timely manner. To obtain quality materials and services while obtaining maximum competition whenever possible. The methods used to achieve this goal are in strict accordance with the City's purchasing policies and procedures.
RelationshipsThe City views the relationships with its vendors, suppliers, and contractors as a business partnership where all parties are expected to coordinate and combine talents, ideas and actions in order to produce superior results for the citizens of the City of Lowell.
PracticesThe Purchasing Department implements and administers the City's purchasing policies and practices, procuring all goods and services requested by City departments, the School department or any other agency operating through the City of Lowell.
Under the supervision of the Chief Procurement Officer, the City of Lowell's Purchasing Department
- Coordinates the disposal of surplus property and supplies;
- Ensures that all purchases are open, fair, competitive, obtained at the lowest possible cost and obtained in the best interest of the City;
- Implements and administers the purchasing policies and practices of the City;
- Maintains procurement records in accordance with M.G.L. c30B.
- Provides procurement support to City departments, divisions, bureaus, and boards;
- Verifies that purchases of goods and services are made in accordance with applicable Commonwealth law and City ordinances; and