What can I ask for on the application?
You may request the Judge to order that the abuser stop abusing you, have no contact with you or a child in your custody and move out of your house or apartment. You may also request the Judge to order that you receive support and temporary custody of your children. You may request payment for medical costs due to injuries and loss of wages. You may ask that the abuser not contact you and that your new address be kept confidential from the abuser for your safety. You must also disclose any other existing 209A order from any court or any probate court action in which you are involved.

For more information related to Domestic Violence, contact Lieutenant Mark Buckley or Officer Carlos Mercado at the Family Services Unit via 978-970-4023.

Show All Answers

1. What is domestic violence?
2. What is a 209A order?
3. How can I get a 209A to help protect my family and I?
4. Where do I get a 209A order?
5. What kind of questions will they ask me on the form?
6. What can I ask for on the application?
7. What about child custody and visitation?
8. What happens next?
9. What will the Judge do after speaking with me?
10. What is a 10 Day Hearing?
11. What happens at the end of a year?
12. Can a minor obtain a 209A?
13. What if the order is violated?
14. What should I do if an arrest is made?
15. What happens after the arrest?
16. What crimes can an abuser be charged with?
17. What will happen at the court arraignment?
18. What will happen after the arraignment?
19. What is a batterer's intervention program?
20. Will intervention stop the abuse?
21. Will I still be at risk?