ALERT: West Nile Virus (WNV) has been detected in mosquitos collected in the Pawtucketville Area of Lowell, Massachusetts. The Central Massachusetts Mosquito Control Project (CMMCP) will be conducting preventative spraying throughout the Pawtucketville neighborhood on August 31, 2023. Please read the following documents for more information.
The Lowell Health Department works with the Central Massachusetts Mosquito Control Project (CMMCP) to provide mosquito control services to Lowell residents. The CMMCP provides a range of services reduce mosquito exposure to the public and the potential for disease transmission by mosquitoes. Lowell residents and businesses can contact the CMMCP directly to request services. There is also a process for a no-spray request.
- Source Reduction: Reducing or removing larval habitats by recycling, waste disposal or other means.
- Wetland restoration: Maintenance of ditches, culverts and man-made ponds to improve water quality and increase water flow, reducing the potential for mosquito breeding.
- Surveillance: Mosquito populations are monitored in both the larval and adult stages to determine the appropriate control methods to be employed.
- Larviciding: Environmentally sensitive products are used to control and/or eliminate the larval mosquito.
- Adulticiding: When adult mosquito populations reach intolerable levels, hand-held or truck mounted sprayers are used to reduce the adult mosquito levels in residential areas.
- Public Education: CMMCP offers a comprehensive education program geared to a range of audiences, from kindergarten through Senior Centers.
- Research and Efficacy: The CMMCP continuously reviews the efficacy of its products and techniques, and performs research in new or different areas of mosquito control to improves services to member communities.*
You can call the CMMCP office directly at 508-393-3055, 7 AM - 3:30 PM, Monday - Friday for more information.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention Website @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>