- Boards & Commissions
- A - H
- Historic Board
- Historic Places and Architecture
- National Register - Historic Districts
- Andover Street Historic District
Andover Street Historic District
Andover Street, early 20th century
The Manse (ca. 1847), 282 Andover Street
Worcester House (1802), 658 Andover Street
Elijah Read House (ca. 1850), 578 Andover Street
Pickering/Dempsey House (1890-91), 781 Andover Street
2nd Merrimack Company Agent’s House (1914), 305 Andover Street
William T. Trull House (1908), 791 Andover Street
Andover Street was originally part of Tewksbury and consisted primarily of farmland with a scattering of early to mid 19th century homes. Lowell's increasing suburbanization, as well as an expanding horse-drawn streetcar system and later electrification, were the impetus for the annexations of the bulk of Andover Street in 1874 and 1888. The final annexation occurred in 1906, bringing Andover Street to its current length.
During this era of multiple annexations, Andover Street experienced a surge in construction of middle to upper class homes. The late 19th through the early 20th centuries saw the influx of Lowell's expanding middle class and Andover Street became one of the city's premier streets and addresses.
Within the district can be found the Worcester House at 658 Andover Street, the oldest house on the street built in 1802, that was listed individually on the National Register in 1983 as well as the Hoyt-Shedd Estate (1874, 1884) at 386 and 396 Andover Street and their rear carriage houses at 569 and 579 East Merrimack Street that were also individually National Register listed in 1984.