Board and Commission Opportunities
Opportunities Currently Available
There are often multiple opportunities to serve on City Boards or Commissions.
Serving on an advisory body can be a rewarding experience and an excellent way to contribute to the quality of life in the community in which you live or work. The City relies on the interest and involvement of these volunteers who seek a more active role in the functioning of their local government.
Selection for appointment to one of our advisory bodies is generally based on the following criteria:
- A broad perspective and concern for the welfare and progress of the City
- A familiarity with the City's history, issues, and goals
- Interest in the functions/responsibilities of the advisory body under consideration
- A willingness to devote time and effort to the work of said advisory body
- Awareness of and understanding of the City's ordinances and policies
- Balance and diverse representation on advisory bodies, wherever possible
Please note that even though a specific advisory body that interests you may not have available opportunities at this time, the City would like to hear of your interest for future consideration!
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter - clearly specifying the advisory body they are interested in - along with their resume, qualifications, and any additional supporting documentation as follows:
Via Email: ATTN Mary Callery to firstname.lastname@example.org
Via Fax: to Mary Callery at 978-446-7102
Via Mail: to City Hall Human Relations Office, 375 Merrimack Street Room 19, Lowell MA 01852
Please note that all board members are required to complete training on the Commonwealth's Conflict of Interest (Ethics) and Open Meeting (Public Meeting) Laws.
View more Information about employment opportunities.