- Planning & Development
- Housing & Energy
- First Time Home-Buyers Program
First Time Home-Buyers Program
If you are a first time home-buyer in Lowell, you could qualify for a loan of up to $10,000 based on financial needs!
Eligibility is based on the following:
- You must be a first time home-buyer or a qualified veteran purchasing in Lowell, MA.
- You must meet the following income guidelines based on family size as established by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
How to Apply
The First-time Home-buyer must first attend the home-buyer training class and obtain a certificate of completion. The Home-buyer then collects all the necessary documents and submits them to the Merrimack Valley Housing Partnership for review for eligibility and completeness, the application is then submitted to the City of Lowell's DPD Office for property inspection and final approval or denial and applicants are then notified. Find more information and learn how to apply.
TimingTiming is critical. It is the goal of Lowell's Department of Planning and Development to have checks available for down payment assistance within three weeks of receipt of a completed HUD package. FTHB funds are delayed if any required documents are missing.
The following documents must be submitted as part of your application:
- Credit Report
- First-Time Home Buyer Training Certificate
- Five Recent Pay Stubs
- Flood Certification
- Home Inspection Report
- Mortgage Commitment Letter
- Primary Mortgage Application
- Property Appraisal
- Property Transfer Notification Certification
- Purchase and Sales Agreement
- Tax Returns - past 3 years
- Verification of Employment
A Housing Quality Standard Report (HQS) must be completed by a home inspector in addition to a basic home inspection. Any deficiencies identified during the inspection must be repaired prior to closing. Cost estimates to repair deficiencies must be supplied by a contractor licensed in the field. Applications will not be accepted if the property contains major mechanical problems, asbestos, or chipping and peeling paint unless the Seller plans to rectify them prior to closing.