Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994, the Jerathmell Bowers House is located at 150 Wood Street. Built ca. 1673, it is the oldest building in Lowell and includes 18th, 19th, and 20th century additions. A New England Colonial cottage, it is located in what was once Chelmsford and was part of the 150 acre Bowers farm. During the early colonial period of Chelmsford, the house was one of 19 garrison houses used for refuge by citizens during attacks by Native American tribes.
Bowers was a prominent local citizen, serving as a Chelmsford selectman and militia leader. He also operated a distillery here. The house remained in Bowers family ownership until its sale in 2013.