Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, the Varnum Building was located at 401 Bridge Street. Built in 1882, the Varnum Building was one of the oldest surviving commercial buildings in the Centralville neighborhood. Built in the Queen Anne style, the building's prominent location and architectural detail combined to make it the landmark of commercial buildings in Centralville. The builders, Leavitt and Daniel Varnum, were extensive real estate promoters and developers in the neighborhood who also operated their real estate office on the building's first floor. Their house at nearby 697 Bridge Street still stands.
The building was unfortunately heavily damaged by fire in February, 2010 and demolished that month.