Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995, the Butler School was located at 812 Gorham Street. Built in 1882, it was a fine example of Queen Anne architecture, illustrating many characteristic features of the style including its irregular massing, carved wood panels and trim, and granite and brick coursing. It was designed by Lowell architect Frederick Stickney who was also responsible for several other Lowell public buildings including Lowell High School (1892, 30 Kirk Street) and Memorial Hall/Pollard Memorial Library (1893, 401 Merrimack Street). Construction of the school was part of a major school building effort in the late 19th century to accommodate enormous population increases in Lowell.
The school was named for General Benjamin Butler who lived much of his life in Lowell having served as a lawyer, soldier, and statesman including Governor of Massachusetts.
Demolished in 2013, the site was commercially redeveloped.